Saturday, March 10, 2012

Russian woman in costume

Pardon me, folks! I'm a day late in greeting every female, HAPPY International Women's Day! I was swamped at work yesterday and I had a problem with my bank account (but happy that it was sorted out -- thanks to the bank's assistant manager, another female!).

In honor of the women's day, I am sharing a Russian countrywoman in her ornate costume postcard for Beth's Postcard Friendship Friday. The postcard came from Russia, many thanks to Uliana of Novosibirsk. 


The woman is wearing a peasant dress, sarafan with the traditional Russian blouse. This clothing style is no longer commonly worn, except for the sarafan, that is now used as a summer dress. The entire ensemble however can still be seen during folk music and dance performances or as souvenirs. I wish I can step into one and try wearing it myself! :D

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday, dear readers and blog hoppers!


~ maria

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Maria for the visit and for leaving a comment on my entry for PFF. Very much appreciated.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very fascinated with the different costumes of the world.This Russian peasant dress looks similar to those worn by women in other Eastern European countries. Thanks for visiting mine earlier. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your visit! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice postcard!

      Due to the threading downgrade of Blogger, I can't leave a comment about the post, but have to choose one of the existing comments at random and reply to that.

      Delete
  4. I love to see traditional dress.

    @dmarks, to coin a phrase "yes we can!" :)

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: