Monday, September 3, 2012

Koalas & Kangaroos

Allow me to welcome the cold 'ber' months by sharing direct swap cards I received from Australia in September and October last year. 

First here's a card with lots of koalas from Carrie. She wrote:

"...A few months ago, I actually got to hold a koala at a wildlife sanctuary -- they're so soft and fuzzy! I also got to see some wild ones on a hike I took up in the mountains on Magnetic Island, which is just off the coast of Townsville, where I'm currently studying..."


Postcrossing Private Swap, Sender: Carrie
Sent from Townsville, Australia, Sent on 9 October 2011
Received date flooded on card, Traveled 4,653.5 km

The next one is a maxicard of a baby koala, from Maddy. She shared that baby koalas sleep for 23 hours a day and that they only eat eucalyptus leaves. They can be aggressive if threatened or frightened. They are also very private and stay up in tree tops most of the time. They can walk though. 


Postcrossing Private Swap Sender: Maddy
Sent from Victoria, Australia, Sent on 13 September 2011
Received on 23 September 2011, Traveled 6,185 km in 11 days

Now here's a kangaroo card from Anne. I've always find kangaroos interesting for carrying and feeding their babies in their belly pouch. The more interesting thing for them is that they seem so heavy but they can stand on their two hind legs and leap around like a frog. Anne said they can be a pest. The kangaroo however, is a national symbol of Australia and it also appears on the Australian coat of arms and some of its currency.


Postcrossing Private Swap, Sender: Anne C.
Sent from Queensland, Australia Sent on 9 September 2011
Received on 21 September 2011, Traveled 5,852.3 km in 13 days

Aside from the koala card, Maddy also sent me a flag card of Australia. It came with a kangaroo stamp at the back. :D
Postcrossing Private Swap, Sender: Maddy
Sent from Victoria, Australia, Sent on 13 September 2011
Received on 21 September 2011, Traveled 6,185 km in 9 days

Happy Monday and have a Postcard PERFECT week everyone! :)



~ maria

7 comments:

  1. We certainly have some unique animals here in Australia.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a weird dream before of riding at the back of the kangaroo! :p But I gave on it cause I think I'm too heavy for that. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. What a very cute creature! The first time I saw Koala and Kangaroo was when we visited Columbus Zoo back in 2004.
    Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Willa! Thanks also for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. koala is one of my favorite animals! although i have yet to see a real one! kangaroos are also most fascinating. these are really lovely postcards, i bet my son will love 'em if ever we get some! ;)

    stopping by from postcard perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria,

    Although I have seen many koalas I have never seen one in the wild. They are very elusive! I guess they are more numerous in other parts of Australia though I hear their numbers are falling because of loss of habitat. Definitely one of our favourite animals!

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: